[CHERRY HILL, NJ (July 18, 2006)] Car lovers take key steps to protect their prized collector vehicles in hurricane season, notes American Collectors Insurance, a national provider of collector-vehicle and collectibles insurance coverage.
American Collectors Insurance noted that many of these tips were effective during the devastating 2005 hurricane season:
- Use a waterproof/padded tarp on the vehicle to protect against saturated drywall and debris falling onto the vehicle.
- Remove heavy objects from shelves and items such as bikes hanging from the ceiling. Place tools and large objects on the floor.
- Shore up the garage door (the largest opening to the house) using special products, lumber, and/or hardware.
- Secure any openings to the attic from the garage with latches or lumber.
- Use plywood to protect garage windows. Window films provide some protection against shattering, but 1/2” or 3/4” thick plywood is a better option. Hurricane shutters are preferable to sunshades on windows.
- Keep automobile titles and other documents sealed in plastic bags in a safe or a large, heavy container that won’t get lost.
- Participate in a car club. Tap in to fellow car lovers as the best resource for local and regional repair shops and other resources before, during and after an emergency.
“Car lovers tell us these are the simple steps they take year after year,” commented Laura Bergan, director of marketing for American Collectors Insurance, adding that most specialty policies require a collector vehicle to be stored in a locked garage.
“Many car-loving clients put themselves in good position to preserve their property or keep damage to a minimum, especially during hurricane season,” Bergan stated. “The key lesson: securing the garage door proved vitally important not just to preserving a cherished vehicle but to protecting life and limb, which are most important.”
“Taking care of these issues before the storms hit freed up time for American Collectors customers to assist family, friends and neighbors,” Bergan added.
American Collectors offers free e-mail newsletters for agents and collectors through its web site at www.AmericanCollectors.com.
About American Collectors Insurance
American Collectors Insurance specializes in insurance for collector vehicles and collectibles. Based in Cherry Hill, NJ, and licensed in 48 states, American Collectors Insurance offers products directly to consumers, as well as through independent insurance agents and alliances with several major insurance organizations. For more information, visit www.AmericanCollectors.com or call (800) 620-9223.